It is Now Easier for Anyone to Apply for Twitter Verification
It is now much easy to have the desired blue check mark on your Twitter account. In a recent report, the company has made the announcement that people who want the check mark on their Twitter accounts should start sending their applications since the platform is currently open. For your information, Twitter verification provides your profile with a blue colored check mark. This is a way used by Twitter to inform people that a profile used by a public figure is authentic.
Twitter’s blue check mark is commonly used on the profiles of journalists, celebrities, politicians and athletes among other high profile individuals. This is aimed at eliminating thechances of impersonation by people with bad intentions. Being verified provides you with a number of special features such as you only receive notification feed from verified profiles. This does not alter your twitter experience in any way.
During the announcement, Twitter revealed that approximately 187,000 profiles have the blue verification mark. This translates to around 0.6 per cent of the 310 million monthly Twitter active users. Sometime back, the company had opened the platform for new verification applications, but decided to pull the feature down some years ago. It could have done so because of so many unworthy verification applications. Since that time, Twitter verifications have always been done manually at the company’s discretion.
To ensure that your Twitter profile is considered for verification, you should start by ensuring that you have verified contact information on your account. This could be verified phone numbers, bio, email address, profile picture, website and birthday. In addition, the company may require you to explain why you need verification. If your reason for verification is legit, your profile will get a blue check mark. The company could also ask for your government-provided ID to enable them to authenticate your identity.
It appears the company’s move to open verification applications to anybody is aimed at helping identify influencers and creators that need twitter verification. It is clear twitter has not been in a position to identify these users on its own. According to Tina Bhatnagar, the VP of Twitter’s User Services, their move marks the beginning of their other larger moves to assist people find high quality and great accounts to follow. In addition, this will help influencers and creators connect better with a bigger audience.
Twitter’s blue verification badge allows other twitter users to prove the authenticity of your account. According to the company, it approves types of accounts by users in acting, music, government, fashion, sports, media, business, and politics among other areas of key interest. Twitter is looking for users who believe that their accounts are of public interest. Should they provide authentic and convincing information, their accounts will be verified. Here is some information to help you submit a verification request.
For you to successfully complete the verification form, your Twitter account must contain the following information.
- A bio
- Verified phone number
- Header photo
- Profile photo
- Birthday, if your account is not brand, organization or company account
- Verified email address
- Your tweets should have public setting in the Tweet privacy settings
Account and Profile Recommendations
To help you have a general idea of how verified twitter accounts should look like, here are a few common characteristics
- If the Twitter account belongs to an individual, the name must reflect the stage or real name of the individual
- If the Twitter account belongs to a company or a corporation, the name must reflect the real or stage name of the company or corporation
- The header or profile photo must reflect the individual, the company’s branding or the corporation’s branding
- Company or corporate accounts must have email addresses that are associated with the company or corporate email address
During the submission of your verification request, the company asks for more details that can help them evaluate your profile. Here are a few tips to help you work this out.
- The company asks you to explain why you need your twitter account verified. If the profile represents an individual, the company will need to understand what impact they have in their field. It will need to know the mission if it for a company or corporation
- During the provision of support requests, the URLs for your sites should be in a position to express the relevancy or newsworthiness of the account holder
- The company may as well request for a scanned government-issued ID including a driver’s license or passport to confirm identity
If you would like to have your Twitter account verified, consider researching on what should be done. You will have to convince the company to verify your account by providing authentic information. After filling out the verification request form, you will receive a notification on your email explaining whether or not your request has been approved. In case your verification request is denied, consider waiting for 30 days before submitting another request.