The White House have Expressed High Hopes on the Future of AI
Artificial intelligence is the intelligence exhibited by machines. The machine mimics the human’s cognitive activities. The field is confined to narrow specific tasks. However, it is actively growing and changing on daily basis. It has the potential to improve peoples’ lives by addressing the biggest challenges faced by people.
Reports released by White House about artificial intelligence
Preparing for Future Intelligence
It is the first report released by White House, which entails where we are in artificial intelligence, where we are heading to, potential application and the actions the federal government could take. One of the white house groups was addressing the problem of the law-wage job through a policy that suggests retaining workers to work alongside the artificial intelligence. This allows the machine to carry out tasks that it can perform better rather than keeping them to humans. The white house member monitors the state of the art in artificial intelligence within the federal government and at the international level. They keep watch of the arrival of important technology that will aid in the development of artificial intelligence.
The National Artificial Intelligence Research and Development Strategic Plan
This is a companion document designed to guide the future research and development on artificial intelligence. It shows the strategic plan for the research and development of artificial intelligence funded by the federal government. They give information on the future potential and problems that might arise from it. The plan recommends ways on how to coordinate research and development in the opportunistic areas they identify. Their aim is to build a highly trained workforce and to maximize benefit.
Priorities Identified in the Strategic Plan
- They prioritize long-term investments in the artificial intelligence research.
- They aim at looking for ways in which humans can collaborate with the technology without facing them out in order to achieve optimal performance.
- Developing of systems which are convenient, reliable, secure and safe to use.
- Developing of systems that will go hand-in-hand with the legal, ethical and societal goals.
- Evaluation of the technology through benchmarks and standards.
- Developing environments and shared public databases for training and testing of this technology.
Problems facing the building and running of the artificial intelligence
- There is high demand for experts who are reported to be in short supplies.
- Recruiting expertise in this field has led to investment of significant resources.
- The industries and learning institutions are in a battle of recruiting and retaining artificial intelligence talent.
Today’s application of artificial intelligence for the public good
The technology is used to identify faces in pictures
First, there is a front-end process that is used to train the algorithm to learn a million faces. It works by checking the new face and comparing it with the faces in it to look for a match. This saves humans from the hustle of going through the photos to countercheck if the faces match with the already known face.
Animal migration tracking
This technique is used to identify the animals and build a database of their migration with the data provided in the photos.
- In medical centers, artificial intelligence is used to predict complications by finding patterns in medical data and improve treatments. As a result, the patient receives
better outcomes, heals faster and receives services at a lower cost.
- In transportation, the artificial intelligence enables the management of traffic systems. This reduces the waiting time, emissions and saves thousands of lives.
- This technique is also applied mainly in criminal justice system. It helps in improving aspects such as policing, crime reporting, sentencing, etc.
- In education, the technology assists teachers to customize instructions to students.
Positive Effects of Automation
- Tasks are carried out at a very high speed.
- The job is done with more accuracy as compared to humans.
- The machine helps to solve challenges and inefficiencies faced in the world today thus improving their lives.
- Its greatest impact in economics by increasing productivity and creating wealth.
- High-skilled personnel’s are favored by this system since they can use it to extend their sales, reach, products, and services.
Negative Effects of Automation
- Artificial intelligence will lead to low-wage jobs for low-skilled individuals whose jobs might not be replaced.
- It can lead to economic inequality since it will widen the wage gap between more and less educated workers.
- Computer science knowledge and training has to be applied for the machine to learn how to carry out the tasks.
- Many people are known relying on the machines for decision making and operation of various tasks.
The two reports released by the artificial intelligence, that is “Preparing for the Future of Artificial Intelligence” and “The National Artificial Intelligence Research and Development Strategic Plan”, shows that much more is needed to be done on this technology. This is to ensure that humans are not faced off by the technology but work in collaboration with it in order to achieve optimal performance. The reports guide the federal government on the innovative work of artificial intelligence and the negative impact of these machines. It is important to note that the artificial intelligence is not aimed at replacing humans but improving their standards.